Microsoft AR/VR Job | Principal Optical Systems Engineer – Mixed Reality and Advanced Optics
Type（岗位类型）: Hardware Engineering
Citys（岗位城市）: Espoo, Finland
The Mixed Reality HW and Advanced Optics Team in Finland is expanding to include novel optical cloud systems for Azure’s datacenter infrastructure. We are seeking a highly motivated Optical Systems Engineer to join our fresh Advanced Optics for the Cloud Team to develop a disruptive technology for cloud storage systems.
If you are passionate about applying your engineering skills to turn the disruptive technologies of today into the hardware of the future and want to work on a team dedicated to a culture of inclusion, growth mindset, and collaboration, we need you!
As an Optical Systems Engineer, you’ll get to know the requirements of the cloud storage systems and how these requirements are translated into a new optical data storage system. You’ll also learn how femtosecond lasers, beam scanners, modulators and polarization optics can be used for creating a unique optical cloud storage system.
You’ll be working in a world class multi-disciplinary team of optics, electronics and mechanics specialists and a leadership that will guide and help you grow on your career. Your creativity and imagination will be put to great use as you discover and overcome the challenges encountered when pioneering new technologies and applying known technologies in novel ways.
This is a great opportunity to join us and be on the very frontline of this new and exciting optical data storage innovation.
- Proven track record of 5+ years in product development and in optical component and/or systems design
- PhD or MS degree in photonics, opto-electronics, systems engineering, or related hardware engineering discipline
- Excellent technical design skills and proven ability to drive complex system designs
- Strong problem-solving skills
- PhD preferred
- Understanding of non-linear optics, high-speed electronics, femtosecond lasers
- Experience with polarization imaging
- Experience in model-based systems engineering
Join us as an Optical Systems Engineer and be one who empowers billions!
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
- Lead the systems engineering for future optical storage systems, including design partitioning and preparation of system architecture
- Minimize technical and development risks applying an end-2-end systems engineering approach
- Evaluate system costs and understand compromises of different concepts
- Lead multidisciplinary teams of optical, electronic, mechanics specialists to maximize team-wide impact.
- Optimization of optical sub-subsystem concepts and maximization system-level performance
- Design of engineering verification tests and prototypes
- Lead and manage the team comprised of both internal and external resources to execute on the design, verification, and implementation of optical data storage, including supply chain evaluation
- Create clarity in a complex organization with multiple stakeholders, including external partners
- Building and leading the hardware team, including talent hiring and people skill development
- Optical design for manufacture using geometrical and physical optics
- Excellent communication skills that can provide clarity to a wide variety of audiences that include customers, peers, and executive leadership
- Systems-thinking and ability to partition complex systems into clear architecture
- Ability to leverage the strengths of a multi-disciplinary team, with backgrounds in research, physics, software, hardware engineering, and product development
- Good understanding on the physics of ultrashort lasers and polarization imaging systems preferred
- Ability to apply data science and analytical approach to identify and focus on critical factors through design of experiments, statistical data analysis, and optimization preferred
- Familiarity with image processing and computer vision preferred