Microsoft AR/VR Job | Sr. Product Safety Engineer
Job（岗位）: Sr. Product Safety Engineer
Citys（岗位城市）: Mountain View, United States
In Mixed Reality, people—not devices—are at the center of everything we do. Our tech moves beyond screens and pixels, creating a new reality aimed at bringing us closer together—whether that’s scientists “meeting” on the surface of a virtual Mars or some yet undreamt-of possibility. To get there, we’re incorporating groundbreaking technologies, from the revolutionary Holographic Processing Unit computer vision, machine learning, human-computer interaction and more.
We’re a growing team of talented engineers, program managers and artists putting technology on a human path across all Windows devices, including Microsoft HoloLens, the Internet of Things, phones, tablets, desktops, and Xbox. Our team has people from a wide variety of backgrounds, identities, previous work histories, life experiences, and we are eager to maintain and grow that diversity. Our varied backgrounds and unique experiences enable us to be better at building the best solutions for our customers and make for dynamic and joyful collaborations with colleagues!
If you are passionate about groundbreaking Mixed Reality technology and want to work on a team dedicated to a culture of inclusion, growth mindset and collaboration, we need you!
The Devices & Technology team within Mixed Reality is responsible for every physical device that Mixed Reality ships – from firmware to final hardware.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and self-driven Senior Product Safety Engineer with a proven track record of bringing complex products to life from prototype through high volume mass production. A successful candidate will be a technical leader, effective communicator, creative & willing learner, and effective working in teams to solve cross functional problems.
The Senior Product Safety Engineer reports to the Senior Director of Product Integrity in Mixed Reality organization. This position can be based in Redmond, WA or Mountain View, CA. Occasional domestic and international travel might be required. The ideal Senior Product Safety engineer has a proven track record of ensuring that hardware products are safe beyond industry standards and agency assessments, without sacrificing cutting edge functionality or design, and is effective in sharing their knowledge with peers and stakeholders.
This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services governed by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Due to contractual limitations and ITAR obligations associated with this role, U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, or protected person status under 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(3) is required.
- Demonstrate a growth mindset
- Able to communicate difficult or sensitive information tactfully and effectively
- Ability to work across distributed multi-disciplinary teams
- Clear understanding of risk and hazards and being able to explain it to diverse audiences
- Experience in Human Factors Engineering, Quality, Product Integrity, Manufacturing or Reliability
- Effective use of project management principles and tools
- Able to analyze and organize complex data (Tableau, powerBI)
- Able to perform testing and measurements at an electronics lab and working with and troubleshooting prototypes
- Driven, able to execute plans with limited supervision and under tight deadlines
- BS Degree in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, or Optical preferred)
- 5+ of engineering experience in consumer electronics product development and/or manufacturing
- 2+ years of work in consumer electronics product safety outside of an NRTL
- Master’s Degree in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, or Optical preferred)
- 10+ of engineering experience in consumer electronics product development and/or manufacturing
- A minimum of 2 years of engineering experience in MR device development and/or manufacturing
- 5+ years of work in consumer electronics product safety outside of an NRTL
- Working knowledge of light source evaluation according to IEC 60825-1, 62471-5
- High familiarity with performance based Functional Safety (IEC 61508), including the use of its associated tools and ability to transfer principles into cutting edge designs
- Working knowledge of safety standards for consumer electronics (IEC 60950-1 or 62368-1)
- Working knowledge of hazard analysis and risk assessment methodologies and processes like FMEA and FTA
- Knowledge of Li-ion battery design, safety, and failure analysis
- Experience working with manufacturers (ODM & CM) and suppliers in the consumer products or consumer electronics segments
- Experience conducting supplier and manufacturing audits
- Knowledge in Design for Six Sigma, or comparable statistical modeling and analysis methodology
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
- Accurately predicting how MR products will be used and could be misused, and identifying safety-critical components, systems, and manufacturing steps associated with those predictions
- Guiding the software and hardware development teams and ensuring designs meet all applicable internal safety specifications and processes
- Plan and conduct appropriate component, sub-assembly and assembly test protocols to effectively support a product safety assessment
- Contributing to product design reviews by identifying safety hazards, and proposing measures to effectively eliminate or mitigate them
- Collaborating with factory management and NPI to identify, implement and control safety-critical steps in the manufacturing processes and to maintain them throughout mass production
- Represent Product Integrity in DFMEA/PFMEA sessions
- Prepare and deliver presentations summarizing product safety coverage and risks for project gate reviews
- Participate in the change management process by reviewing proposed changes for possible safety implications
- Participate in CAPA meetings, providing clear hazard and safety risk assessments
- Maintain essential knowledge base and educate the rest of the product safety team on MR-specific hazards and emerging risks