Microsoft AR/VR Job | Principal Designer
Job（岗位）: Principal Designer
Type（岗位类型）: Design & Creative
Citys（岗位城市）: Redmond, United States
About the company and the team
At Microsoft, we have bold ambitions: Empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. To accomplish this, the Mixed Reality Design and UX Research team is looking for divergent thinkers and makers who explore and learn by making, obsess over every degree, pixel, word, and sound wave, and bring their curiosity and passion to re-imaging the relationship between people and technology. In 2015, we launched HoloLens, the world’s first spatial computing device and platform, with the mission of empowering people to transform their world. In 2021, we continue that journey with the core belief that mixed reality can bring people closer and help them go further.
About the role
Microsoft’s Mixed Reality Design and UX Research team is looking for a customer-focused Principal Designer with the passion, curiosity, creativity, and empathy to define the spatial future of computing. You will work with our interdisciplinary team to transform customer signal into actionable insights, generate and prototype transformative experiences, and define the path ahead for Microsoft’s MR products, platform, and services.
As a Principal Designer in Mixed Reality, you will…
- Define the end-to-end core product experience, informing the device design and experience architecture that unifies Microsoft’s mixed reality software, hardware, and services.
- Combine the holistic thinking of a product designer, the technique of an interaction designer, and the aesthetics of an artist.
- Apply your unique perspective to our human-centered design process as we seek new ways that technology can empower people and groups to transform the world.
- Bring humanity to our long-term planning, systems thinking to our platform, and focused craft to our products.
There is no bigger opportunity than defining the foundation of mixed reality computing, communication, and creativity. We cannot wait to see what you will contribute!
This team supports our employees in all locations around the country. This job has the option to be remote or located in one of our hubs.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in product design, HCI, interaction design, communication design, architecture, or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of relevant design experience with proven success in working with partners and customers
- 5+ years working in AR, VR or related fields
- 2+ years of experience leading and/or growing designers/design teams in highly complex environments
- Experience shipping innovative and complex AR/VR products while meeting and exceeding milestone deadlines
- Great communication, interpersonal, organizational, and collaboration skills across multiple disciplines – this role works with developers, designers, and artists
- Problem-solving skills and ability to think strategically
- Experience dealing with the ambiguity of incubation work
- Collaborative and self-motivated; able to partner effectively with others while also making smart, strategic decisions and working independently
- Working knowledge of real-time 3D authoring tools such as Unity and Unreal
- Understanding of real-time 3D content development for both current-gen and mobile platforms
- Experience designing UX for hardware products a plus
- Designing user experiences for enterprise software and services
- Service design experience
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
- Own accountability for specific product areas under exploration
- Lead and inspire designers to create and explore in highly ambiguous situations
- Drive and assess design solutions based on user research input, user goals, and business requirements
- Architect user experience for Mixed Reality from initial concept through finished product
- Create an invigorating and positive team culture
- Create and drive UX strategies and solutions grounded in research insights of user needs and outcomes in Mixed Reality, including rapid prototyping of concepts
- Work closely and constructively with product management, visual and interaction designers, writers, engineers, and user researchers to drive alignment on product experiences and priorities
- Drive HCD processes across the team, partners and organization
- Effectively manage resources, schedules, process and priorities of design across several features and initiatives