Microsoft AR/VR Job | Senior Technical Designer
Job（岗位）: Senior Technical Designer
Type（岗位类型）: Design & Creative
Citys（岗位城市）: Redmond, United States
About the company and the team
At Microsoft, we have bold ambitions: Empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. To accomplish this, the Mixed Reality Design and UX Research team is looking for divergent thinkers and makers who explore and learn by making, obsess over every degree, pixel, word, and sound wave, and bring their curiosity and passion to re-imaging the relationship between people and technology. In 2015, we launched HoloLens, the world’s first spatial computing device and platform, with the mission of empowering people to transform their world. In 2022, we continue that journey with the core belief that mixed reality can bring people closer and help them go further.
About the role
Microsoft’s Mixed Reality Design and UX Research team is looking for a customer-focused technical designer with the curiosity, creativity, empathy, and engineering passion to define the spatial future of computing.
As a Senior Technical Designer on the Mesh & Services Design team, you will be focused on bringing our core immersive collaboration platform to life through prototypes and imagining future state metaverse experiences, powered by Azure and mixed reality services. You will work with our interdisciplinary team to turn customer insights into transformative experiences and design patterns that unify Microsoft’s mixed reality software, hardware, and services. You’ll explore and demonstrate the path ahead for Microsoft’s MR products/services with both quick demos and, later, highly refined MR experiences.
In this role, you will combine the technical expertise of a game developer with the human-centered focus of a designer. You will bring your unique perspective to our insights-based process as we seek new ways that technology and our platform can empower people and groups to transform the world. You’ll lead by making things tangible in our highly collaborative, cross-disciplinary environment, where we test early, test often, and tirelessly push for the best. You’ll bring your creative and technical expertise to be a bridge between design and engineering and utilize your hands-on skills to develop the design intent through prototyping and iterative refinement, all the way from concept to completion. There is no bigger opportunity than defining the foundation of mixed reality computing, communication, and creativity with our team, and we cannot wait to see what you will bring!
This team supports our employees in all locations around the country. This job has the option to be remote or located in one of our hubs.
- 4+ years’ experience working as a front-end engineer or creative technologist prototyping UX and/or building shipping experiences in Unity or an equivalent real-time game engine (web, mobile, PC, gaming, or other).
- Experience building or consuming APIs and familiarity with web and cloud infrastructure.
- Technical acumen and expertise; an understanding of designing, prototyping, building, delivering, and maintaining applications and services for high availability, resiliency, and performance in a dynamic environment.
- Great communication skills, both written and verbal, and able to build consensus among diverse stakeholders. Be comfortable presenting and demonstrating products for large and small audiences.
- Track record of collaboration across design, research, business partners, PMs, and other engineering teams.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Product or Service Design, Human Computer Interaction, or related field.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Graphic Design, Product Design, Visual Design, Human Computer Interaction, or related field
- Expertise with AWS, Azure, PlayFab, and/or Xbox Live services.
- Experience developing cross-platform 3D or mixed reality (AR/VR) products and services.
- Training and experience in human-centered design, design thinking, UX, service design or related design fields.
- Designed a service for an experience-based product that has shipped.
- Interest and knowledge of decentralized technology trends (e.g. blockchain, identity, NFTs, cryptocurrency, metaverse, creator economy, etc.)
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
- Collaborate with design, product, user research, and engineering to create interactive prototypes that address user needs, explore innovative design concepts, and help bring ideas from concept to production.
- Develop functional, cross-platform mixed reality (AR/VR) prototypes in Unity to meet needs at hand (e.g., speed, depth, fidelity) and solve complex challenges, building on previous work and emphasizing efficiencies.
- Seek inclusive and divergent feedback from peers and leaders to iteratively improve services and product experience.
- Actively bridge design and engineering, advising design teams on engineering constraints and advising engineering teams on design intent to capture the desired form and function of an experience.
- Contribute to broad, shared understanding of experiential and technical factors across all disciplines.
- Stay on top of the latest insights and design practices across enterprise software, web, gaming, and AR/VR industries.
- Champion and evangelize the teams’ efforts throughout the organization.
- Identify risks in advance and drive the team towards successful resolution.
- Be a positive and creative force in the team.